Friday, May 21, 2010

Cool Tools for School

I tried out Google Sketch Up, which is a free 3-D CAD (Computer Assisted Drafting) program. It's not worth the time to learn in my mind because of its limited features. I've been spoiled by Autodesk Software and just can't seem to find a suitable replacement. I'd buy the Autodesk Software, but it's in the hundreds of dollars and more powerful than I need. Sketch Up looke promising, but you can't import pictures for backgrounds, create multi-sided polygons, or o-snap to gridpoints. So, it just won't work for me.

Createagraph is a nice piece of basic graphing software, but is a far cry from Excel. Once again, this free software offers the bare bones basics, but its professional counterpart blows it out of the water. This is a natural occurence, yet it would be nice to find free (or less costly) software programs that go beyond the basic tools, yet keep things basic in an effort to keep prices down. There not be a suitable market for this though. So, the option is to either buy the expensive toy or deal with the basic one.

Samorost-1 is a creepy, odd exploratory game about trying to explore an alien space ship. I wouldn't recommend it for schools. The 3rd screen has an animation of a guy smoking a huka...

No comments:

Post a Comment